Thursday, February 11, 2010

Mysterious Day

4 years back when I lie in bed with broken leg I started writing the document and taught that I will write a book on University Life, but as I run in the race for existence it always gets a last look. Now that I feel, being ambitious alone is not sufficient finding out what you like is “most important” to succeed, I introspect. I started writing ………………..This is more of my own story and as I admire Gandhiji for his first 50 pages of "My Experiments with Truth" - as truth is more bitter and being Mahatma he was able to speak out in public. Definately, you might not know me as him, but I will keep a promise that whatever I write is truth from my heart and if I dont mention few things think that I am hiding :). This is the first one to start with.

A person dies in my hand’s –

Vijju, Rajesh, Nandu and Me were having a discussion about BSBC, BSBC takes lot of my personal life and will detail more about it, for now – it was a cold winter night, and was 8 PM in the night, we had tea in Minar cafĂ© and were walking back home, usually we go back home by 11 PM, we go sit and discuss again, things never get completed especially with Vijju who is adamant and poses many a difficult queries, by the time you give a solution he presents a new one which could have been raised when we start the discussion, it gets its into loops and loops and we get tired and go home , to start same thing some other day, social problems are very difficult to solve. Let me get back to my memory now, it was dark, with very few street lights being lit, and there was a drizzle at that time, we had just then cross past the railway gate. About 100 mts from there, with the help of flickiring light from street lamp we saw a person lying on the road, another standing besides him, as we approached closer we saw that his head was hit to the ground. We asked the person with him about his where abouts. He pointed to his house showing that he fell infront of his house and told us that another person has accompanied him but he has ran away.

This person was generous enough to call 108 but the ambulance has not yet come, it was more than 15 minutes that he has been waiting there and not even a soul moved to help them. When we came closer we could see, wounds on his head and droplets of blood coming out from mouth, but he was not hit anywhere else. I was thinking that, he might need some stiching and will be alright. We waited for 3 long minutes, I got tired and told Vijju that we will take him to the hospital. We stopped a person coming on his bike, Vijju knows him pretty well( This guy is known through out Vikarabad), I removed my shirt, so as to avoid blood stains, and as I took the bike handle while Rajesh and Vijju tried to put him on the bike, he was so heavy that all four of them had to lift him to get on to the Splendour. I started the bike, then I realised that his head was falling of my bunnian and it has become like hen's neck, as the person was heavily drunk his head got hit to the road and was twisted. As we took him to the Railway gate , we could see the ambulance. We got into the ambulance while Rajesh was given bike to come to hospital. This is the second time in my life that I was in ambulance, once with my friend Bakshi who got hit by Glace ball on his nose.

The Hospital -
We reached the Governement hospital in couple of mins, In town like Vikrabad, you can reach from place to place in less than 5 mins at most. The hospital referred here is District General Hospital with 50 beds, to my surprise there was no doctor to greet us. An aaya told us that we need to register a police case to treat him, Vijju took the bike to call the cop, while I persuaded her to call the doctor - reluctanly she called the doctor. She was reluctant to treat the person too. Nandu and Rajesh put him on the bed, I removed his shirt so that he can get some air, we started nursing the wounds, I took out his purse to see if I can get some contact details to call his family. I found a Memo given to him for his misconduct and bla, bla ... I did not go through that completely and I know it was not the one to look for at the moment but could have been the source for his drunken driving. I did not get any other except that he himself was a police constable at Dharur from the memo. Now, it was more than 10 mins by the time we came here, I was going in and out to see if the doctor has come, and pressuring the lady to call him again. Finally, he arrives with ponds applied to his face, which is clearly visible from his dark ugly face, he dressed up himselves nicely. I showed him the room where the patient is, first up , he put the sthescope watched the pulse, he said "he is dead". Everybody was schocked, doctor went back to his chamber in a flash, it took couple of minutes for me to come to normality, I took his head into my shoulders, to see if he is still alive, I dont know for sometime what I was doing, I kicked my leg in air, punched my fists, then I decided to fight, I went to the doctor asked him where where you ? . A person died beacuse of your negligence , the delay by ambulance and delay by you cost around 30 mins, and it is really shamefull for a person like you to do this. He tried to explain, saying that it is night duty and they work on shifts and that the person would have died even if he had come earlier.

By this time, as the argument was up people gathered, Vijju came back with the SI, and I had more strenght. I was going rage, I told the cop that I would register a complaint against the doctor and the ambulance wala. SI saw the person who died and recognised him as constable, called up somebody asked to inform to their family. He took us to the geep, and said that he has informed it to his family and asked us to get inside, we got into the geep, SI tried to explain that the doctor is relative of the person who died and he is very sad that he has lost him, I was blunt, I asked him what needs to be done to log a complaint. We were nearing the same spot where the Victim got hit, by the time a geep over took us, he was DSP. We got out of the geep and explained him, how we took him to the hospital, and the delay by doctor and ambulance. All five us were shivering with cold as it was pretty cold out side and it was raining heavily, we told him that we will not leave it here and would go further and register a complaint against doctor as he was not on duty and negligence of the ambulance staff, hospital aaya is not forgivable. He went near his geep and called the doctor, we overheard some of their conversation where he was telling the doctor that it looks like these students are not going to leave this hear. He signalled to SI to drop at our homes. By this time we know the traitors.

That night I could harldy sleep, my mother was scared as what may happen if we regtister a case against the doctor. Chandu my bro, called me up, he too was skeptical as what may happen, and asked me what would be the outcome even if we register a case. I dont know, but that was not fair, I taught it was injustice, thinking that I drowsed. Next day early morning 6 O' clock a police geep was infront of my house, my father was asking the police as what they need, they said they came for the witness, they picked up the remaing guys too and we were made to sit infront of the barber shop for 1.30 hour or so, saying that we need to identify the person who was with him, even tough we told him that we have not seen him. By 8 AM, somebody made a call to the constable who was with us and told him about the address of the person, we were taken to his house, that guy is a drunkard and was in nasha, the constable hit him hard and asked him to get into the geep, by 8.30 we were in the police station, while we were made to sit on the benches my fellows in the yesterday's night feet asked me not to complain and said we will never get justice. We were again made to sit outhe side the PS for some more time, no body really bothered. By 9.3o we were taken to the Govt Hospital where the postmorton was happening.

At the hospital the victims brother came crying he took my hand in his and with appealing eyes asked me "nuvve edina cheyyi". I was moved, but was helpless, the victim is survived by a wife, elder daughter and son, his daughter is about to get married, I was also told that if we appeal against these guys they are going to come up saying he was drunken, insurance and other policies cannot be claimed. By this time, I was tired to fight, now that I have a reason to leave the battle field , but I made a point to write in the witness form that there was a delay of 15 mins in the ambulance and doctor was not available in the hospital when we reached there. The fact is that the court summons the witness but as we will not be available the witness form ( I dont rember what they call) will be used as hearing.
By 11 AM we were taken back to our homes, I was last to be dropped, jeep driver who was with the whole episode since night said, “Sir, I have never seen a correct person Like you”, and saluted me his hands trembling. This is the one thing that I remember, the best compliment in my life, when all odds are against me, something to think and cherish my selves that I am here to fight and not to leave the battle field in the middle, because you are the warrior. I then taught we should form a group where one can work for others even willing to sacrifice their lifes, there are very few whoom you can find, I dare to ask everybody are we ready for that....?

5 comments:

  1. Well, this is not only the case in Vikarabad it is the same in many places.. Thanks to YSR for having 108 working properly atleast now. But 108 could nt help him very pity.... After rading the blog i felt i am always be with you to fight for justice till the battle is won. i have only one saying NEVER GIVE UP...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pity and unfortunate incident. I am up to bring a change but though not by fighiting but playing to our strength. As we come from good education background, I feel we should be trying to bring a change in the fundamental thinking of our citizens, which is a long term process but definitely yeild results. I appreciate the effors you guys have put to try to save his life. There are too many areas in govt which needs to be cleansed up, one of them is Govt hospitals and its services but lets target the root and bring a change from within individuals so that each citizen become a Raja Sekhar.
    Jai Hind
    Chandu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup...I am always ready to battle for justice. You received a best compliment from that police guy. Actually I have the same opinion. I tried to follow you and learn many things form you. The way you thinks makes you Ideal for many. So keep it up, and be an Ideal for others.

    Regards,
    Balraj.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks much Balu.You have rasised my bar very high now that I will try to reach them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes..raja..everyone should do their job correctly..people wont change until someone bash them properly..

    ReplyDelete